Are you an optimist or a pessimist? Do you expect the best or the worst to happen?
Being an optimist does not mean that you are out of touch with reality, ignoring difficulties and obstacles and behaving in a naive way.
Being an optimist means that you hope and expect events and plans to turn out well, and that you look with a smile on the future.
It is important to be a balanced optimist, not pretending that nothing bad can or ever will happen. Doing so can lead to being impractical, making poor decisions and letting people ridicule or take advantage of you. A balanced optimist looks at reality, acknowledge difficulties and obstacles, but is not discouraged by them. A balanced optimist can see the good and the bad, but at the same time expects success and puts forth effort to make things turn out well.
Being optimistic doesn't mean waiting for things to happen by themselves. It means expecting the best, believing that the best will happen, but at the same time making decisions, following them, acting and making things happen.
Why be an optimist? Because optimism keeps you motivated and energetic, pursuing what you want with ambition, confidence and happiness. It helps you focus on your vision, and makes everyday a happy day.
- Don't get angry with yourself if you find yourself feeling pessimistic. Acknowledge that it is only natural to feel pessimistic at times, when life is boring or when you encounter difficulties or hardships.
- Acknowledge that changing your mental attitude takes time, so be patient.
- Keep a list of motivational and inspiring quotes handy, and read them several times a day.
- At least once a day listen to music, your favorite songs or some inspiring or relaxing music.
- Exercise your body often and regularly.
- At least once a day do something that makes you happy and satisfied. This can be anything, even some minor activity or action like eating something you love, watching a favorite T.V. program, reading or talking to a friend.
- Try to smile more often.
- Take more care of your appearance and how you dress. When you look good you will feel more confident and positive.
- Endeavor to see the good in every situation.
- Have enough sleep at night. When don't sleep enough or don't sleep well you can get moody, unhappy and impatient. Good sleep will make you more energetic, alive, optimistic and feeling good.
- If you can, avoid the company of negative
- Learn to accept the past, leave it behind and continue to better things. Wallowing in the past creates unhappiness and lack of optimism.